DonorsChoose.org - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fashion Dilemma

Well, no surprise here, but I've already hit my first quandary. I have been invited to Area High School* for an interview/chance to meet the department this coming Tuesday. They are considering allowing me to serve in their school for the next year as a student-teacher. I'm thrilled that I have interest from such an extraordinary school, not to mention one that is technically within walking distance of my home, but the number one thing running through my head is, what do I wear?!

Now I should probably state that I am not, and never will be, all that concerned about my clothing. Sure, I appreciate dressing sharply, and I fully understand that people will judge you by how you present yourself. But, this primarily translates for me into simple rules like don't wear pajamas to work, and make sure your clothing is clean. I have never in my life spent more than a minute trying to decide if two colors will go together or which tie says what about me.

This question bouncing around my head seems predicated on the previous line "people will judge you..." I simply don't know what is appropriate to wear for this type of occasion. As it is something of an interview, my instinct is to wear a suit. However, I know that schools are traditionally less formal in their attire and I run the risk of looking like a fool walking around in a suit when nobody else is even sporting a tie. So, then, do I run the risk of dressing down a bit and potentially looking less like an aspiring professional? Even though teaching in public schools is often less formally attired, I still want to give the impression that I take the profession seriously. Can I do that in slacks, dress shirt and tie?

I'm all for trying new things, but this worrying about clothing just seems silly.

*Not the real school name.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Greg,
    Wear the suit. Clothing choices are not silly.
    Love,
    Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suit pants, dress shirt and tie are a must. Suit coat is optional.

    <3 Chaz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your suggestions, I went with the suit and was glad I did!

    ReplyDelete